YWCA Mankato is a partner of Girls Inc. at YWCA Minneapolis. Through this partnership YWCA Mankato offers research-based curricula, delivered by trained, mentoring professionals. Girls have opportunities to learn new skills, belong to a group, make positive connections to peers and adults, contribute to society, feel competent and believe in their ability to create the best possible future for themselves.
Girls Inc. Mission:
To inspire all girls to be strong, smart and bold.SM
If we vision a girl in today's world, would we see a girl who:
- IS GROWING UP at a time when women have unprecedented opportunities and yet is painfully aware of the fact that women are much more likely to be viewed as sexual objects rather than as leaders.
- LEARNS ABOUT the accomplishments of remarkable women in school but is surrounded by media that advertise sex appeal as the key driver of success and celebrate careless, self-destructive behavior among young women.
- STRUGGLES to have people take her and her interests and aspirations seriously.
- NAVIGATES both physically and virtually through multiple cultures in a globalized environment.
- LEARNS that in a society that still greatly undervalues women, girls face special challenges in navigating the difficult task of growing up.
Girls Inc. Girls' Bill of Rights
- Girls have the right to be themselves and to resist gender stereotypes.
- Girls have the right to express themselves with originality and enthusiasm.
- Girls have the right to take risks, to strive freely and to take pride in success.
- Girls have the right to accept and appreciate their bodies.
- Girls have the right to have confidence in themselves and to be safe in the world.
- Girls have the right to prepare for interesting work and economic independence.
Girls Inc. at YWCA Minneapolis
YWCA Minneapolis is a member organization of Girls Inc. Through this affiliation with Girls Inc., the YWCA offers research-based curriculum, delivered by trained professionals, to equip girls to achieve academically, lead healthy and physically active lives, manage money, navigate media messages, and discover an interest in science, technology, engineering, and math. Girls have opportunities to learn new skills, belong to a group, make positive connections to peers and adults, contribute to society, feel competent and believe in their ability to create the best possible future for themselves.
Girls Inc. at YWCA Minneapolis empowers girls and eliminates racism by inspiring all girls to be strong, smart, and bold!
In Girls Inc. programming, YWCA Mankato utilizes trained, volunteer mentors from our local area. These volunteers serve as role models to the girls throughout the 12 week program. A volunteer mentor is an individual 18 years of age or older.
Please contact YWCA with program questions or for opportunities to get involved!
YWCA Mankato ♦ 127 S 2nd St, Suite 200 ♦ Mankato, MN 56001 ♦ 507-345-4629
Thank you to our Program Supporters