Parent Educator, Spanish Speaking
Status: Full-Time (40hrs. a week) is ideal; consideration may be made to 30+
Department: New American Families
Reports to: New American Families Program Manager
Position Summary: The New American Families program provides Parents as Teachers (PAT) home visiting services for immigrant and refugee families who are pregnant and/or have child(ren) up to 5 years of age. A certified Parent Educator implements the PAT model, emphasizing parent-child interaction, development-centered parenting, and family well-being in their work with families. Utilizing the PAT Foundational Curriculum in culturally sensitive ways, the parent educator partners, facilitates, and reflects with families.
This position requires critical thinking utilizing a social justice lens in ways that align with the YWCA’s mission, vision, and values.
• High School Diploma or GED plus at least one year of work experience with young children and/or parents
• Verbal fluency in the language(s) of the Parent Educator’s targeted demographics
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills (fair, objective, reflective, empathetic, patient, and tactful)
• Ability to establish rapport with families and empower them by building on their strengths
• Strong organizational and record keeping skills
• Ability to work independently and be self-motivated
• Ability to network, collaborate, and provide referral to local community-based resources
• Computer skills, including web browsing, email, internet, data entry, and word-processing
• Possess a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and auto insurance
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Engage in recruitment activities as needed by the New American Families Program
• Complete all required assessments, health screenings, and documentation in an accurate and timely manner
• Develop, monitor, and review goals with each family
• Plan, provide, and document personal visits focused on parent-child interaction, development-centered parenting, and family well-being
• Use the PAT Foundational Curriculum to share research-based information with families
• Provide group connections to give families an opportunity to build social connections with each other, engage in parent-child interaction activities, and increase their knowledge of ways to support their children’s development
• Connect families to resources to help them reach their goals and address their needs
• Help parents and children transition to other services as needed including preschool and kindergarten
• Organize and inventory supplies and materials
• Meet PAT’s minimum requirements around staff meeting attendance and reflective supervision
• Be available for and actively participate in networking meetings including, but not limited to Homeless Response Team meetings, United Way’s Success by Six, etc.
• Complete PAT and YWCA professional development requirements on time
• Participate in continuous quality improvement
• Assist with YWCA Mankato office operations as needed
• Assist with other YWCA Mankato events as required
• Some weekend and evening shifts will be required
• Other duties as assigned
Compensation and Benefits
Hiring Range: $13.00 to $15.00 per hour
Benefits: Medical, Short-term & Long-term Disability, and paid time off. 401 K Retirement contributions made by the YWCA after two years of employment at 1000 working hours per year.
1. Manages all job duties with mobility, agility, and dexterity
2. Ability to lift a maximum of 20 pounds for transportation of activities to worksites
3. Requires visits to be conducted in private residences that may not be handicapped accessible
4. Work in potentially noisy environments with many interruptions
YWCA Mankato is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all. The parent educator will be responsible for upholding these ideals, supporting our work, and representing YWCA Mankato and its mission in a manner consistent with these values.
This position is year-round, and non-exempt. This job description represents the major functions of the position but is not designed to be all-inclusive.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Applicants must submit via email: 1) cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) a list of at least 3 professional references to Jes Wysong at email@example.com
To learn more about YWCA Mankato visit mankatoywca.org.