Ready to Learn
Ready to Learn utilizes trained Outreach Workers and volunteers to work with parents in their homes to engage their child(ren) in developmental activities, preparing parents and their children ages birth-5 for kindergarten while instilling the value of pre-k education.
Ready to Learn is part of the New American Families Programming at YWCA Mankato. The overall objective of this program area is to ensure immigrant and refugee families feel welcome to Greater Mankato and empower them to become self-sufficient.
Outreach Workers have lived the migration experience. It is due to this understanding and various language capabilities as well as knowledge of community resources that staff are able to connect with families.
This Program Helps Families..
..Get connected to the broader community
..Apply for pre-K educational activities
..Gain access to healthcare
..Gain knowledge of K-12 school system
..Connect to early childhood screenings
Program Home Visits
- Consists of weekly home visits for duration of session, usually about 10-12 weeks
- Home visits last approximately 1.5 hours
- Utilizes trained volunteers
- Utilizes Growing Great Kids, Inc. curriculum
- Program Outreach Workers assemble curriculum for each session based on child's developmental stage
- The goal of summer sessions is to get families outside and out to area family-friendly locations with hopes of preventing isolation
- 6 week session (June-July)
- Staff and volunteers hold outdoor age-group based sessions in local parks
- 2-hour sessions consist of some large group activity, small group age-based learning activities, and a parent circle
- Session ends with an outdoor potluck celebration including a child and family program graduation
What do Ready to Learn families say?
"I think if we didn't know the YWCA, didn't know the program, didn't meet the staff, we would be more insecure."
"If it wasn't for [the YWCA Outreach Worker] I don't know how we would have found out about anything!"
"What could you do better? Have the program twice a week instead of just once!"
"The YWCA has been like our family, not just a program, but our family."
For more information contact Kelli Damlo at firstname.lastname@example.org or (507) 386-2182.
Thank You to Our Program Supporters